Meaning and Origin
What does the name Wilson mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Australia says the name Wilson means "Desire, helmet and protection" and is of Malayalam origin.
- According to a user from Arizona, U.S., the name Wilson means "Desire, protection, or 'helmet'".
- 2 people from Nigeria and the United States agree the name Wilson is of American origin and means "Gift of God".
- According to a user from Nigeria, the name Wilson is of Nigerian origin and means "The name wilson simply means resolute protection".
- A user from Nigeria says the name Wilson is of Nigerian origin and means ":it means protection".
- According to a user from Wyoming, U.S., the name Wilson is of Norwegian origin and means "Viking son of Will. Wolfson into Willson".
- A user from California, U.S. says the name Wilson is of Scottish origin and means "Son of Wil".
- A user from the United States says the name Wilson is of Scottish origin and means "First named for a private land area. owned and taxed. with the permission of a family originally from the. Country of Scotland".
- According to a user from Nigeria, the name Wilson is of English origin and means "Goal achiever".
- A submission from Kenya says the name Wilson means "Saviour".
- A peak in the San Juan mountains of Colorado (14,246 feet high)
- 28th President of the United States; led the United States in World War I and secured the formation of the League of Nations (1856-1924)
- United States literary critic (1895-1972)
- Scottish physicist who invented the cloud chamber (1869-1959)
- United States entomologist who has generalized from social insects to other animals including humans (born in 1929)
- American Revolutionary leader who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence (1742-1798)
- Canadian geophysicist who was a pioneer in the study of plate tectonics (1908-1993)
- United States physicist honored for his work on cosmic microwave radiation (born in 1918)
- Scottish ornithologist in the United States (1766-1813)
- English writer of novels and short stories (1913-1991)
- Author of the first novel by an African American that was published in the United States (1808-1870)
Will (short form of William) + -son
- An English, Scottish and northern Irish patronymic surname.
- A male given name transferred from the surname.
- A city, the county seat of Wilson County, North Carolina, United States.
Wilson was also found in the following language(s): Cebuano, French, Hungarian, and Tagalog