Meaning and Origin
What does the name Jones mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Kentucky, U.S. says the name Jones means "A gift from God ; Foreigner from a Strange Land. Welsh Celtic origin as well" and is of Gaelic origin.
- A submission from Missouri, U.S. says the name Jones means "Gift of god".
- A user from the United Kingdom says the name Jones is of Fiction origin and means "dragon rider".
- A submission from Indiana, U.S. says the name Jones means "Son of John" and is of Gaelic origin.
- English phonetician (1881-1967)
- One of the first great English architects and a theater designer (1573-1652)
- American naval commander in the American Revolution (1747-1792)
- United States golfer (1902-1971)
- United States railroad engineer who died trying to stop his train from crashing into another train; a friend wrote a famous ballad describing the incident (1864-1900)
- United States labor leader (born in Ireland) who helped to found the Industrial Workers of the World (1830-1930)
- An English and Welsh patronymic surname derived from the given name John.
Jones was also found in the following language(s): Cebuano and French