Meaning and Origin
What does the name Thompson mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Nigeria says the name Thompson means "Twin" and is of Greek origin.
- A user from Nigeria says the name Thompson is of Scottish origin and means "Thompson is a greek word which come from son of tom, an also name thomas".
- English physicist (born in America) who studied heat and friction; experiments convinced him that heat is caused by moving particles (1753-1814)
- United States classical archaeologist (born in Canada) noted for leading the excavation of the Athenian agora (1906-2000)
Variant of Thomson, from Tom + -son, originally meaning "son of Thomas". Also an anglicisation of the Gaelic name MacTamhais, meaning "son of Thomas".
- A British surname.
- A village in Bulgaria
- A town in Connecticut
- A city in Iowa
- A city in Manitoba
- A town in New York
- A city in North Dakota
- A borough of Pennsylvania