Meaning and Origin
What does the name Wright mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Pennsylvania, U.S., the name Wright means "Wright is an English name".
- A user from New York, U.S. says the name Wright means "The best things in life".
Etymology: OE. wrighte writhe, AS. wyrtha, fr. wyrcean to work. √145. See Work
- Someone who makes or repairs something (usually used in combination)
- United States early feminist (born in Scotland) (1795-1852)
- Influential United States architect (1869-1959)
- United States aviation pioneer who (with his brother Wilbur Wright) invented the airplane (1871-1948)
- United States aviation pioneer who (with his brother Orville Wright) invented the airplane (1867-1912)
- United States writer whose work is concerned with the oppression of African Americans (1908-1960)
- United States writer of detective novels (1888-1939)
- A British occupational surname from a maker of machinery; found in many combinations such as Cartwright.
- An American surname; also a confused anglicization of the French le droit.