Meaning and Origin
What does the name Virgil mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Australia, the name Virgil is of Latin origin and means "Staff bearer".
- A submission from Washington, U.S. says the name Virgil means "Vigil, Vigilant, or Vigilance".
- A Roman poet; author of the epic poem `Aeneid' (70-19 BC)
From Middle English Vyrgyle, from Latin Virgilius, from the Roman clan name Vergilius, of unknown meaning.
- Pūblius Vergilius Marō (70-19 BCE), Roman epic writer from the Augustan period, best known for writing the Aeneid.
- (mainly US) A male given name from Latin.