Meaning and Origin
What does the name Tao mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from the United States says the name Tao means "Wave, tide" and is of Chinese origin.
- A user from New Zealand says the name Tao is of Maori origin and means "Spear ... pointed at both ends ...simuliar in design to a modern javellin".
- The ultimate principle of the universe
- An adherent of any branch of Taoism
From the Wade-Giles romanization of Chinese 道 (Dào, literally “the Way”).
- (Chinese philosophy) Alternative letter-case form of Tao: the way of nature and/or the way in which to live one's life.
- (historical, obsolete) Synonym of circuit: various administrative divisions of imperial and early Republican China.
tao was also found in the following language(s): Finnish, Hungarian, Ilocano, Italian, Japanese, Malagasy, Mandarin, Maori, Samoan, Tagalog, and Vietnamese