Meaning and Origin
What does the name Samba mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Canada says the name Samba means "Shepherd" and is of African origin.
- According to a user from India, the name Samba is of Hebrew origin and means "Thank".
- A form of canasta using three decks of cards and six jokers
- A lively ballroom dance from Brazil
- Music composed for dancing the samba
- Large west African tree having large palmately lobed leaves and axillary cymose panicles of small white flowers and one-winged seeds; yields soft white to pale yellow wood
- Dance the samba
Borrowing from Portuguese samba
- A Brazilian ballroom dance or dance style.
- A Brazilian musical genre, to which the aforementioned dance is danced, which has its roots in West Africa via the slave trade.
samba was also found in the following language(s): Finnish, French, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and Tagalog