Meaning and Origin
What does the name Roe mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Israel says the name Roe is of Hebrew origin and means "Shepherd of god".
Etymology: OE. ro, AS. rāh; akin to D. ree, G. reh, Icel. rā, SW. rå
- [Zoöl] The ova or spawn of fishes and amphibians, especially when still inclosed in the ovarian membranes. Sometimes applied, loosely, to the sperm and the testes of the male.
- A mottled appearance of light and shade in wood, especially in mahogany.
Etymology: For roan, OE. rowne, akin to G. rogen, OHG. rogan, Icel. hrogn, Dan. rogn ravn, Sw. rom; of uncertain origin; cf. Gr. ��� pebble, Skr. �arkarā gravel
- The eggs or egg-laden ovary of a fish
- The egg mass or spawn of certain crustaceans such as the lobster
- Eggs of female fish
- Fish eggs or egg-filled ovary; having a grainy texture
- A surname, from a Middle English nickname meaning a roe.
From Irish an Ró ("the roaring one").
- A river in Northern Ireland, County Londonderry.
- (US politics, informal) Roe vs. Wade, the US Supreme Court case which legalized abortion.