Meaning and Origin
What does the name Remus mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Wisconsin, U.S. says the name Remus is of Roman origin and means "Meaning unknown. In Roman legend Romulus and Remus were the founders of Rome. Remus was later slain by Romulus".
- A submission from Texas, U.S. says the name Remus means "Remus and his twin were rulers of rome!".
- 3 submissions from the United Kingdom and the United States agree the name Remus means "Wolf" and is of Roman origin.
- A submission from Missouri, U.S. says the name Remus means "Swift" and is of Latin origin.
- A submission from Bangladesh says the name Remus means "A word derived from latin 'ora' which means swiftness" and is of Latin origin.
- (Roman mythology) the twin brother of Romulus
From a Proto-Indo-European root *h₁reh₁- shared by Ancient Greek ἐρετμός (eretmós, “oar”), ἐρέτης (erétēs, “rower”) and possibly English oar.