Meaning and Origin
What does the name Zen mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Australia says the name Zen is of Greek origin and means "Greek origins- Gift from Zeus".
- A user from New Zealand says the name Zen means "Absorb".
- A user from Colorado, U.S. says the name Zen is of Japanese origin and means "A respectful person, Who isn't afraid. He/She tries their best to succeed and doesn't believe in giving up".
- A user from Florida, U.S. says the name Zen means "Meditation".
- According to a user from Australia, the name Zen is of Japanese origin and means "From war to Peace".
- Street name for lysergic acid diethylamide
- A Buddhist doctrine that enlightenment can be attained through direct intuitive insight
- School of Mahayana Buddhism asserting that enlightenment can come through meditation and intuition rather than faith; China and Japan
From Japanese 禅(ぜん) (zen), from Middle Chinese 禪 (MC d͡ʑiᴇn), an abbreviation of 禪那 (MC d͡ʑiᴇn nɑ), from Sanskrit ध्यान (dhyāna, “a type of meditation”). Akin to dhyana.
- (religion) A denomination of Buddhism elaborated in Japan.
- (religion) Profound meditation within that denomination of Buddhism.
- (informal) A philosophy of calm, reminiscent of that of the Buddhist denomination.
Zen was also found in the following language(s): German, Irish, and Japanese