Meaning and Origin
What does the name Zed mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Georgia, U.S. says the name Zed means "God is righteouss".
Etymology: F., probably through It. zeta, fr. L. zeta. See Zeta
- The 26th letter of the Roman alphabet ("the British call Z zed and the Scots call it ezed but Americans call it zee")
From Middle English zed, zedde, zede, from Old French zede, from Late Latin zeta, from Ancient Greek ζῆτα (zêta). Letter had rare nonstandard usage in Old English, such as in bezt, where it represented "ts" (compare the German pronunciation of Z). For the sleep sense, see zzz. The zombie sense comes from the initial letter.
- The name of the Latin-script letter Z.
- (in combination) Something Z-shaped.
- (colloquial, usually in the plural) Sleep.
- I'm going to go get some .
- (slang) A zombie.
- A horde of began to shuffle into the shopping mall.