Meaning and Origin
What does the name Zaire mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Illinois, U.S. says the name Zaire is of African origin and means "River/Body of water".
- A submission from the United States says the name Zaire means "Body of water" and is of Odia origin.
- According to 2 people from New Jersey, U.S., the name Zaire is of African origin and means "River".
- A republic in central Africa; achieved independence from Belgium in 1960
- The basic unit of money in Zaire
Truncation of Kongo nzadi o nzere (“river swallowing rivers”) which refers to the Congo river; adopted in accordance with the Authenticity Movement.
- (historical) the Democratic Republic of the Congo (former name, used between 1971 and 1997).
Zaire was also found in the following language(s): Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish