Meaning and Origin
What does the name Winter mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to 3 people from all over the world, the name Winter is of English / African origin and means "Gift of god".
- According to a user from Virginia, U.S., the name Winter is of English origin and means "A sweet gift of god that is quiet,beautiful,nice,friendly and adorable".
- A user from Florida, U.S. says the name Winter means "a season, but during winter, the temperature drops so it may mean a cold person, but in some states or countries, there's something called snow which is pure white, so it can also mean pure".
- According to a user from Alabama, U.S., the name Winter is of African American origin and means "Snow, freezing, water, ice, coldness".
- A user from Canada says the name Winter is of Ganda origin and means "It's a season name".
- A user from Georgia, U.S. says the name Winter means "Winter is a boy character from Wings of Fire".
- A user from Illinois, U.S. says the name Winter means "bubbly".
- A user from Canada says the name Winter means "Born in winter".
- The season of the year in which the sun shines most obliquely upon any region; the coldest season of the year."Of thirty winterhe was old." [Chaucer.]"And after summer evermore succeeds Barren winter, with his wrathful nipping cold." [Shak.]" Winter lingering chills the lap of May." [Goldsmith.]
- The period of decay, old age, death, or the like."Life's autumn past, I stand on winter's verge." [Wordsworth.]
Note: ☞ North of the equator, winter is popularly taken to include the months of December, January, and February (see Season). Astronomically, it may be considered to begin with the winter solstice, about December 21st, and to end with the vernal equinox, about March 21st.
Etymology: AS. winter; akin to OFries. & D. winter, OS. & OHG. wintar, G. winter, D. & Sw. vinter, Icel. vetr, Goth. wintrus; of uncertain origin; cf. Old Gallic vindo- white (in comp.), OIr. find white. ����
- The coldest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the winter solstice to the vernal equinox
- Spend the winter ("We wintered on the Riviera" and "Shackleton's men overwintered on Elephant Island")
- A surname.
- A female given name
- An unincorporated community in Senlac Rural Municipality No. 411, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- An unincorporated community in Putnam County, West Virginia, United States.
- A small town and village in Sawyer County, Wisconsin.
Winter was also found in the following language(s): Dutch, German, Hunsrik, and Tagalog