Meaning and Origin
What does the name Winter mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- Winter is of English/African origin, according to three individuals from throughout the globe, and signifies "God's Gift."
- Winter is an English name that means "A precious gift of God that is quiet,beautiful,nice,friendly, and charming," according to a user from Virginia, United States.
- Winter, according to a user from Florida, means "a season, although the temperature decreases during winter, so it may indicate a chilly person, but in certain states or nations, there's something called snow that is pure white, so it may also mean pure."
- Winter is of African American origin, according to a user from Alabama, United States, and denotes "snow, freezing, water, ice, chill."
- Winter is of Ganda origin, according to a user from Canada, and means "It's a season name."
- Winter, according to a user from Georgia, implies "Winter is a guy character from Wings of Fire."
- Winter, according to a user from Illinois, implies "bubbly."
- Winter, according to a Canadian user, implies "born in winter."
- The season of the year in which the sun shines most obliquely upon any region; the coldest season of the year."Of thirty winterhe was old." [Chaucer.]"And after summer evermore succeeds Barren winter, with his wrathful nipping cold." [Shak.]" Winter lingering chills the lap of May." [Goldsmith.]
- The period of decay, old age, death, or the like."Life's autumn past, I stand on winter's verge." [Wordsworth.]
- The coldest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the winter solstice to the vernal equinox
- Spend the winter ("We wintered on the Riviera" and "Shackleton's men overwintered on Elephant Island")
- A surname.
- A female given name
- An unincorporated community in Senlac Rural Municipality No. 411, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- An unincorporated community in Putnam County, West Virginia, United States.
- A small town and village in Sawyer County, Wisconsin.