Meaning and Origin
What does the name Wheeler mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Australia says the name Wheeler means "Courage by fire".
- A submission from Maryland, U.S. says the name Wheeler means "Maker of wheels" and is of English origin.
- One who wheels, or turns.
- A maker of wheels; a wheelwright.(Obs)
- A wheel horse. See under Wheel.
- [Naut] A steam vessel propelled by a paddle wheel or by paddle wheels; -- used chiefly in the terms side-wheeler and stern-wheeler.
- A worker on sewed muslin.(Eng)
- [Zoöl] The European goatsucker.(Prov. Eng)
- A draft horse harnessed behind others and nearest the wheels of a vehicle
- A person who rides a bicycle
- The man at the outermost end of the rank in wheeling
- Someone who makes and repairs wooden wheels
- Scottish archaeologist (1890-1976)
wheel + -er
- (obsolete) A wheelwright, a wheelmaker.
- Someone who operates a wheel.
- (archaic) A wheel horse.
- (used in combination with a preceding whole number) A vehicle having the specified number of wheels.