Meaning and Origin
What does the name Wellington mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Australia says the name Wellington means "a weird and annoying".
- (19th century) a man's high tasseled boot
- The capital of New Zealand
- British general and statesman; he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo; subsequently served as Prime Minister (1769-1852)
From Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, British soldier and statesman.
- The capital city of New Zealand.
- Several places in England:
- A village in Herefordshire, England (OS grid ref SO4948).
- A market town in Telford and Wrekin borough, Shropshire, England (OS grid ref SJ6511).
- A market town in Somerset West and Taunton district, Somerset, England (OS grid ref ST1320).
- A locality in Cumbria, England (OS grid ref SO4948).
- Any of several places in a select number of countries, including:
- A town in Sumner County, New South Wales, Australia.
- A tiny township in South Australia.
- A neighborhood of Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada.
- A former name of a small incorporated fishing and lumbering village in Newfoundland, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, now called Dover.
- A community in the Regional Municipality of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada; suburb of Halifax.
- A community in Yarmouth district municipality, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- A community in Queens County, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- A municipality of Prince County, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- An unincorporated place and community in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada.
- A residential neighbourhood of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- A town in The Nilgiris district, Tamil Nadu, India.
- A town in the Western Cape, South Africa.
- An unincorporated community in Calhoun County, Alabama, United States.
- A statutory town in Larimer County, Colorado, United States.
- A village in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States.
- A village in Lovejoy Township, Iroquois County, Florida, United States.
- A city, the county seat of Sumner County, Kansas, United States.
- A home rule city in Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States; suburb of Louisville.
- An unincorporated community in Menifee County, Kentucky, United States.
- A small city in Piscataquis County, Maine, United States.
- An unincorporated community in Gogebic County, Michigan, United States.
- An unincorporated community in Lyon County, Nevada, United States, also Wellingtons and Wellingtons Station.
- A village in Lorain County, Ohio, United States.
- A city, the county seat of Collingsworth County, Texas, United States.
- A small city in Carbon County, Utah, United States.
- A ghost town and railroad community in King County, Washington, United States.
- A small town in Monroe County, Wisconsin, United States.
- (New Zealand politics, slang) by extension, the Government of New Zealand.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, British soldier and statesman.
- A habitational surname from the places in England.
- (card games) In the game of nap, a bid that results in the bidder winning quadruple, or losing double, the amount staked.
- A Wellington boot.
Named after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, who wore and popularised this style of boot.
- A Wellington boot.
Generalization from beef Wellington.
- Meat baked in a puff pastry.
Wellington was also found in the following language(s): Portuguese