Meaning and Origin
What does the name Virgin mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
- A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maid.
- A person of the male sex who has not known sexual indulgence.(Archaic)"These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins." [Rev. xiv. 4.]"He his flesh hath overcome; He was a virgin, as he said." [Gower.]
- [Astron] See Virgo.
- [Zoöl] Any one of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycænidæ.
- [Zoöl] A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
Etymology: L. virgo -inis: cf. OF. virgine virgene virge vierge, F. vierge
- Being a virgin; chaste; of or pertaining to a virgin; becoming a virgin; maidenly; modest; indicating modesty; as, a virgin blush." Virginshame." [Cowley.]"Innocence and virgin modesty . . . That would be wooed, and unsought be won." [Milton.]
- Pure; undefiled; unmixed; fresh; new; as, virgin soil; virgin gold. " VirginDutch." [G. W. Cable.]"The white cold virgin snow upon my heart." [Shak.]"A few ounces of mutton, with a little virgin oil." [Landor.]
- Not yet pregnant; impregnant.
- The sixth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about August 23 to September 22
- (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Virgo
- A person who has never had sex
- In a state of sexual virginity ("a spinster or virgin lady" and "men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal")
- Being used or worked for the first time ("virgin wool")
Borrowing from Old French virgine, from Latin virginem, accusative of virgō.
- A person who has never had sexual intercourse, or sometimes, one who has never engaged in any sexual activity at all.
- (informal) One who has never used or experienced a specified thing.
- I've never eaten tofu before – you could say I'm a tofu .
- Any of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycaenidae.
- A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
virgin was also found in the following language(s): Romanian