Meaning and Origin
What does the name Vanilla mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from North Carolina, U.S., the name Vanilla means "Sweet, loving and caring person".
- A user from Wisconsin, U.S. says the name Vanilla is of English origin and means "From the word 'vanilla' for the plant or derived flavoring".
- According to a user from Philippines, the name Vanilla is of English origin and means "Innocent, Simple".
- [Bot] A genus of climbing orchidaceous plants, natives of tropical America.
- The long podlike capsules of Vanilla planifolia, and Vanilla claviculata, remarkable for their delicate and agreeable odor, for the volatile, odoriferous oil extracted from them; also, the flavoring extract made from the capsules, extensively used in confectionery, perfumery, etc.
Note: ☞ As a medicine, vanilla is supposed to possess powers analogous to valerian, while, at the same time, it is far more grateful.
Etymology: NL., fr. Sp. vainilla, dim. of Sp. vaina a sheath, a pod, L. vagina; because its grains, or seeds, are contained in little pods
- A distinctive fragrant flavor characteristic of vanilla beans
- A flavoring prepared from vanilla beans macerated in alcohol (or imitating vanilla beans)
- Any of numerous climbing plants of the genus Vanilla having fleshy leaves and clusters of large waxy highly fragrant white or green or topaz flowers
- Plain and without any extras or adornments ("the most common type of bond is the straight or plain vanilla bond" and "the basic car is known as the vanilla version")
- Flavored with vanilla extract ("he liked vanilla ice cream")
Borrowing from Spanish vainilla, a diminutive form of vaina.
- (countable) Any tropical, climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla (especially Vanilla planifolia), bearing podlike fruit yielding an extract used in flavoring food or in perfumes.
- (countable) The fruit or bean of the vanilla plant.
- (uncountable) The extract of the fruit of the vanilla plant.
- (uncountable) The distinctive fragrant flavour/flavor characteristic of vanilla extract.
- You can tell that the secret ingredient missing from New CokeTM was , because certain South American economies collapsed when it was introduced, and miraculously revived when the old formula was used again.
- (uncountable) Any artificially produced homologue of vanilla extract, principally vanillin produced from lignin from the paper industry or from petrochemicals.
vanilla was also found in the following language(s): Icelandic