Meaning and Origin
What does the name Valerian mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Serbia says the name Valerian is of Latin origin and means "To be strong".
- According to a user from Tanzania, United Republic of, the name Valerian is of English origin and means "Funny".
Etymology: LL. valeriana, perhaps from some person named Valerius, or fr. L. valere to be strong. powerful, on account of its medicinal virtues: cf. F. valériane
- A plant of the genus Valeriana having lobed or dissected leaves and cymose white or pink flowers
From Old French valeriane or mediaeval Latin valeriana, from the personal name Valerius.
- A hardy perennial flowering plant, Valeriana officinalis, with heads of sweetly scented pink or white flowers.
- More generally, any plant of the genus Valeriana.
- (uncountable) The root of Valeriana officinalis, used in herbal medicine.