Meaning and Origin
What does the name Tyke mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Wyoming, U.S., the name Tyke means "Determined".
- A user from Florida, U.S. says the name Tyke is of English origin and means "My heart my best friend".
- See 2d Tike.
- a small child.
- A young person of either sex
- A crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement
- A native of Yorkshire
From Middle English tike, tyke, from Old Norse tík (“bitch”). Compare modern Icelandic tík (“bitch, female dog”), Faroese tík (“bitch, female dog”), Swedish tik (“bitch, female dog”). For sense 5, early 20th century: alteration of Taig.
- (dialectal) A mongrel dog.
- (colloquial) A small child, especially a cheeky or mischievous one
- (Canada) An initiation level of sports competition for young children
- (dated, chiefly Britain) A crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement
- (Britain, informal) A person from Yorkshire; a Yorkshireman or Yorkshirewoman
- (Australia, New Zealand, informal, derogatory) A Roman Catholic