Meaning and Origin
What does the name Turquoise mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from New York, U.S. says the name Turquoise means "Aqua Blue".
Note: ☞ Turquoise is susceptible of a high polish, and when of a bright blue color is much esteemed as a gem. The finest specimens come from Persia. It is also found in New Mexico and Arizona, and is regarded as identical with the chalchihuitl of the Mexicans.
Etymology: F. turquoise; cf. Pr. & Sp. turquesa, It. turchese turchina, LL. turchesius turchina; -- so called because first brought from Turkey. See 1st Turkey
- A shade of blue tinged with green
- A blue to grey green mineral consisting of copper aluminum phosphate ("blue turquoise is valued as a gemstone")
From Middle French Turquoise, from Old French (pierre) turqueise (“Turkish (stone)”). The stone was originally brought to Europe from Turkestan.
- A sky-blue, greenish-blue, or greenish-gray semi-precious gemstone.
- A pale greenish-blue colour, like that of the gemstone.
turquoise was also found in the following language(s): French and Middle French