Meaning and Origin
What does the name Tip mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Washington, U.S. says the name Tip means "Power of angels" and is of Thai origin.
- The point or extremity of anything; a pointed or somewhat sharply rounded end; the end; as, the tip of the finger; the tip of a spear."To the very tip of the nose." [Shak.]
- An end piece or part; a piece, as a cap, nozzle, ferrule, or point, applied to the extreme end of anything; as, a tip for an umbrella, a shoe, a gas burner, etc.
- [Hat Manuf] A piece of stiffened lining pasted on the inside of a hat crown.
- A thin, boarded brush made of camel's hair, used by gilders in lifting gold leaf.
- Rubbish thrown from a quarry.
Etymology: Akin to D. & Dan. tip, LG. & Sw. tipp, G. zipfel, and probably to E. tap a plug, a pipe
- To strike slightly; to tap."A third rogue tips me by the elbow." [Swift.]
- To bestow a gift, or douceur, upon; to give a present to; as, to tip a servant.(Colloq)
- To lower one end of, or to throw upon the end; to tilt; as, to tip a cask; to tip a cart.
Etymology: Cf. LG. tippen to tap, Sw. tippa, and E. tap to strike gently
- A light touch or blow; a tap.
- A gift; a douceur; a fee.(Colloq)
- A hint, or secret intimation, as to the chances in a horse race, or the like.(Sporting Cant)
Etymology: See Tip to strike slightly, and cf. Tap a slight blow
- An indication of potential opportunity ("he got a tip on the stock market")
- The top or extreme point of something (usually a mountain or hill) ("they clambered to the tip of Monadnock")
- The extreme end of something; especially something pointed
- A relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter)
- A V shape
- Remove the tip from ("tip artichokes")
- Mark with a tip ("tip the arrow with the small stone")
- Give insider information or advise to ("He tipped off the police about the terrorist plot")
- Strike lightly
- Walk on one's toes
- To incline or bend from a vertical position
- Cause to tilt ("tip the screen upward")
- Cause to topple or tumble by pushing
- Give a tip or gratuity to in return for a service, beyond the compensation agreed on ("Remember to tip the waiter")