Meaning and Origin
What does the name Thornton mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from the United Kingdom says the name Thornton means "Old Norse thorn = Thorn = prickly bush. Ton = enclosure".
- American architect (1759-1828)
Old English þorn (“thorn”) + tūn (“settlement”)
- Any of several placenames in England, Scotland, and the United States.
- A large village in Fylde borough, Lancashire, England, part of the Thornton-Cleveleys conurbation (OS grid ref SD3442)
- A village in Fife council area, Scotland (OS grid ref NT2997).
- A census-designated place in San Joaquin County, California, United States.
- An English and Scottish habitational surname from these places.
- A male given name transferred from the surname.