Meaning and Origin
What does the name Tennessee mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Australia says the name Tennessee is of Chinese origin and means "To come together".
- According to a user from Washington, U.S., the name Tennessee is of Native American origin and means "Gathering Place".
- A state in east central United States
- A river formed by the confluence of two other rivers near Knoxville; it follows a U-shaped course to become a tributary of the Ohio River in western Kentucky
From Cherokee ᏔᎾᏏ (tanasi), believed to mean “winding river”.
- A state of the United States.
- A river in the United States, that flows from eastern Tennessee into the Ohio River.
- A village in McDonough County, Illinois.
- A male given name
- A female given name
- The Tennessee warbler, Oreothlypis peregrina.
Tennessee was also found in the following language(s): Danish, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish