Meaning and Origin
What does the name Tay mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from North Carolina, U.S. says the name Tay means "My father came from Glasgow, Scotland. The river Tay is in Scotland" and is of Scottish origin.
- A user from the United Kingdom says the name Tay is of Scottish origin and means "Gaelic origin 'This may be from the same Indo-European root meaning 'flow as Tain. The might of the river is mentoned in the saying, Tatha mhor nan tonn, bheir i sgriob lom air Peairt, 'Great Tay of the waves will cut a swathe through Perth'".
- According to a user from New Mexico, U.S., the name Tay means "The longest river in Scotland, also a large loch (lake)".
- According to a user from South Africa, the name Tay is of Gaelic origin and means "Flow".
- A branch of the Tai languages
From Middle French taye, and its source, Latin tēca, thēca, from Ancient Greek θήκη (thḗkē, “covering, sheath”).
- (obsolete) The outer membrane of the brain.
tay was also found in the following language(s): Kalasha, Kwaza, Pipil, Turkish, and Vietnamese