Meaning and Origin
What does the name Tank mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Texas, U.S. says the name Tank means "A big war machine".
- According to a user from Hungary, the name Tank is of Nigerian origin and means "God's friend".
- A submission from Australia says the name Tank means "Solider of the dark".
- A large basin or cistern; an artificial receptacle for liquids.
- A pond, pool, or small lake, natural or artificial."We stood in the afterglow on the bank of the tank and saw the ducks come home." [F. Remington.]"The tanks are full and the grass is high." [Lawson.]
- [Mil] a heavily armored combat vehicle which moves on caterpillar treads, rather than wheels. It typically carries a cannon and a heavy machine, and sometimes other weapons. It is the main distinguishing weapon of an armored division.
- a jail cell for temporarily holding prisoners, as in a police station.
Etymology: Pg. tanque, L. stangum a pool; or perhaps of East Indian origin. Cf. Stank (n.)
- A cell for violent prisoners
- A large (usually metallic) vessel for holding gases or liquids
- An enclosed armored military vehicle; has a cannon and moves on caterpillar treads
- A freight car that transports liquids or gases in bulk
- As much as a tank will hold
- Treat in a tank ("tank animal refuse")
- Consume excessive amounts of alcohol
- Store in a tank by causing (something) to flow into it
From English tank.
- tank (container for liquids or gases)
- (military, archaic to obsolete) tank (armoured fighting vehicle)
- Synonym: Panzer