Meaning and Origin
What does the name Taiwan mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from China says the name Taiwan is of Chinese origin and means "A region in East Asia".
- A submission from Kenya says the name Taiwan means "Awesome" and is of Chinese origin.
- An island in southeastern Asia 100 miles off the coast of mainland China in the South China Sea
- A government on the island of Taiwan established in 1949 by Chiang Kai-shek after the conquest of mainland China by the Communists led by Mao Zedong
From earlier Tayuan, Tayoan, or other variants, from Siraya tau (“people”) + an (“place”). Recorded in Dutch as Tayouan (and other variants), and in Min Nan as 大員 (Tāi-oân) (and other variants). The term initially referred to a sandy peninsula in the area of modern-day Anping District, Tainan, and eventually became the name of the entire island. See also 臺灣／台湾 (Táiwān).
- Common name for a country in East Asia. Official name: Republic of China. Its de facto capital is Taipei.
- Synonyms: Chinese Taipei, Republic of China, ROC
- An island off the coast of China, also known as Formosa since the 16th century.
- Synonym: Formosa
- A province of the Republic of China
- A claimed province of the People's Republic of China
Taiwan was also found in the following language(s): Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, German, Italian, Marshallese, Norwegian BokmÃ¥l, Norwegian Nynorsk, and Portuguese