Meaning and Origin
What does the name Surya mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from India says the name Surya means "In all of the Indian languages, the word 'Surya' means sun. Some also believe it as the god of the sun" and is of Indian (Sanskrit) origin.
- According to 5 people from all over the world, the name Surya is of Indian (Sanskrit) origin and means "Sun".
- A submission from India says the name Surya means "Gift of god" and is of Indian (Sanskrit) origin.
- An important god of later Hinduism; the sun god or the sun itself worshipped as the source of warmth and light
From Sanskrit सूर्य (sū́rya, “the sun or its deity”).
- (Hinduism) The chief solar deity, one of the Adityas, son of Kasyapa and one of his wives Aditi, of Indra, or of Dyaus Pita (depending by the versions). Portrayed with golden arms and hair, Surya drives through the heaven in his triumphal chariot harnessed by seven horses or one horse with seven heads, which represent the seven colours of the rainbow or the seven chakras.
- A male given name from Sanskrit used in India.