Meaning and Origin
What does the name Sultan mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Saudi Arabia, the name Sultan is of Arabic origin and means "Sultan also mean power or control before it used to mean king or chief. ex: i have no sultan on you , you can do whatever you want. and pronounced with long A like sultaan".
- A submission from Morocco says the name Sultan means "King and power" and is of Hindi origin.
- A user from Uganda says the name Sultan is of Arabic origin and means "King or chief".
- According to 3 people from all over the world, the name Sultan is of Arabic / Islamic / Muslim origin and means "King".
- According to a user from Bangladesh, the name Sultan is of Arabic origin and means "King,Protector,Royalty,Monarch".
- A user from the United Kingdom says the name Sultan means "Indian for king".
- A user from Virginia, U.S. says the name Sultan is of Arabic origin and means "Ruler, king".
- According to a user from Virginia, U.S., the name Sultan is of Arabic origin and means "Authority and pronounced Sul-Taan".
- A user from India says the name Sultan means "Gift of god".
Etymology: F. sultancf. Sp. soldan, It. sultano soldano), Ar. sultān sultan, dominion. Cf. Soldan
- The ruler of a Muslim country (especially of the former Ottoman Empire)
From French sultan, from Turkish sultan, from Arabic سُلْطَان (sulṭān), from Aramaic שולטנא (šulṭānā, “strength, authority”) (compare Hebrew שִׁלְטוֹן (shiltón)). Compare soldan.
- Originally, a secular office, formally subordinate to -, but de facto the power behind the throne of the (theoretically universal) caliph.
- A hereditary ruler in various Muslim states (sultanate), varying from petty principalities (as in Indonesia and in Yemen), often vassal of a greater ruler, to independent realms, such as Oman, Brunei, or an empire such as the Turkish Ottoman Empire.
- (card games) A variant of solitaire, played with two decks of cards.
- A breed of chicken originating in Turkey, kept primarily in gardens for ornamental reasons. See: sultan (chicken)
sultan was also found in the following language(s): Danish, Dutch, French, Icelandic, Maltese, Norwegian BokmÃ¥l, Norwegian Nynorsk, Serbo-Croatian, Swedish, and Turkish