Meaning and Origin
What does the name Soma mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Iran, Islamic Republic of says the name Soma is of Kurdish origin and means "This wonderful name means eyesight".
- According to a user from Austria, the name Soma is of Kurdish origin and means "Eyesight".
- A submission from India says the name Soma means "Light of moon".
- A user from India says the name Soma is of Indian (Sanskrit) origin and means "Moon".
- According to a user from North Carolina, U.S., the name Soma is of Finnish origin and means "Adorable".
- A submission from California, U.S. says the name Soma means "'Body'" and is of Greek origin.
- A submission from India says the name Soma means "A plant name".
Etymology: NL., fr. Gr. sw^ma sw`matos, the body
- Alternative names for the body of a human being
- Personification of a sacred intoxicating drink used in Vedic ritual
- Leafless East Indian vine; its sour milky juice formerly used to make an intoxicating drink
From New Latin, from Ancient Greek σῶμα (sôma, “body”).
- (anatomy) The whole axial portion of an animal, including the head, neck, trunk, and tail.
- (cytology) The bulbous part of a neuron, containing the cell nucleus.
From Sanskrit सोम (sóma), from Proto-Indo-Iranian.
- A ritual drink in ancient Vedic and continuing Hindu culture, obtained by pressing the Soma plant.
- (by extension) any kind of intoxicating drug
soma was also found in the following language(s): Finnish, Italian, Latvian, Portuguese, Romanian, Rwanda-Rundi, Swahili, and Turkish