Meaning and Origin
What does the name Salam mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- 4 people from all over the world agree the name Salam is of Arabic origin and means "Peace".
- A submission from the United Kingdom says the name Salam means "'Peace' 'safety' 'security'" and is of Bengali origin.
- A submission from California, U.S. says the name Salam means "Salam is Sumerian in origon then it was used by 18 of the 21 Semitic languages like Arabic and Hebrew. Salam is a two part word. First par is Sal which means Joy or Happiness in Sumerian. The second part is Lam which means prosperity so the whole word means to grow more joy in prosperity which is what Peace is about and what was used in later language. Sumerian used it to greet each other - same use till today in many parts of the world".
- A user from Florida, U.S. says the name Salam is of Geez origin and means "Soup".
- A user from New York, U.S. says the name Salam is of African origin and means "Man of god".
Etymology: Ar. salām peace, safety
- Alternative spelling of salaam
salam was also found in the following language(s): Azerbaijani, Latvian, Mauritian Creole, Romanian, and Turkish