Meaning and Origin
What does the name Rowena mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
From the name of the daughter of Hengist and wife of Vortigern in Geoffrey of Monmouth's 12th century pseudohistorical Latin work Historia regum Britanniae. There have been attempts to connect it to some unattested Old English or Common Brittonic name, but without any real evidence. It was revived after Walter Scott used it in his novel Ivanhoe (1819).
- A female given name from the Germanic languages.
- An unincorporated community in Kentucky
- A community in New Brunswick, Canada
- A town in New South Wales, Australia
- A census-designated place in Oregon
- An unincorporated community in South Dakota
- An unincorporated community in Texas
Rowena was also found in the following language(s): Cebuano