Meaning and Origin
What does the name Rogue mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Nigeria says the name Rogue means "Red coloured".
- A submission from Romania says the name Rogue means "Proud, haughty" and is of French origin.
- [Eng.Law] A vagrant; an idle, sturdy beggar; a vagabond; a tramp.
- A deliberately dishonest person; a knave; a cheat."The rogue and fool by fits is fair and wise." [Pope.]
- One who is pleasantly mischievous or frolicsome; hence, often used as a term of endearment."Ah, you sweet little rogue, you!" [Shak.]
- An elephant that has separated from a herd and roams about alone, in which state it is very savage.
- [Hort] A worthless plant occuring among seedlings of some choice variety.
Note: ☞ The phrase rogues and vagabonds is applied to a large class of wandering, disorderly, or dissolute persons. They were formerly punished by being whipped and having the gristle of the right ear bored with a hot iron.
Etymology: F. rogue proud, haughty, supercilious; cf. Icel. hr�kr a rook, croaker (cf. Rook a bird), or Armor. rok rog, proud, arogant
- To give the name or designation of rogue to; to decry.(Obs)
- [Hort] To destroy (plants that do not come up to a required standard).
- A deceitful and unreliable scoundrel
Uncertain. From either:
- Earlier English roger (“a begging vagabond who pretends to be a poor scholar from Oxford or Cambridge”), possibly from Latin rogō (“I ask”).
- Middle French rogue (“arrogant, haughty”), from Old Northern French rogre (“aggressive”), from Old Norse hrokr (“excess, exuberance”), though OED does not document this.
- Celtic; see Breton rog (“haughty”).
- A scoundrel, rascal or unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person.
- A mischievous scamp.
- A vagrant.
- (computing) Deceitful software pretending to be anti-spyware, but in fact being malicious software itself.
- An aggressive animal separate from the herd, especially an elephant.
- A plant that shows some undesirable variation.
- (role-playing games) A character class focusing on stealthy conduct.
rogue was also found in the following language(s): French, Middle French, and Portuguese