Meaning and Origin
What does the name Rejoice mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to 2 people from Australia and Nigeria, the name Rejoice means "Happiness".
- A submission from Nigeria says the name Rejoice means "To be happy".
- A submission from Virginia, U.S. says the name Rejoice means "Happy" and is of American origin.
- A submission from Ghana says the name Rejoice means "Be happy" and is of French origin.
- A submission from Nigeria says the name Rejoice means "Joy fullness or to be full of joy".
- According to a user from Namibia, the name Rejoice is of English origin and means "Happyness".
- A user from Ghana says the name Rejoice is of French origin and means "To be glad".
Etymology: OE. rejoissen, OF. resjouir resjoir, F. réjouir; pref. re- re- + OF. esjouir esjoir, F. éjouir, to rejoice; pref. es-L. ex-) + OF. jouir joir, F. jouir, from L. gaudere to rejoice. See Joy
- To enjoy.(Obs)
- To give joi to; to make joyful; to gladden."I me rejoysed of my liberty." [Chaucer.]"While she, great saint, rejoices heaven." [Prior.]"Were he [Cain] alive, it would rejoice his soul to see what mischief it had made." [Arbuthnot.]synonyms: To please; cheer; exhilarate; delight.
- To express great joy
- Feel happiness or joy
- Be ecstatic with joy
From Middle English rejoicen, rejoisen, from Old French resjoir. Compare also English rejoy.