Meaning and Origin
What does the name Reign mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from California, U.S., the name Reign is of Native American origin and means "Sovereign".
- A user from Nigeria says the name Reign is of Anglo-Saxon origin and means "Wisdom of the wise".
- A submission from Northern Mariana Islands says the name Reign means "It's means my brother".
- According to a user from South Africa, the name Reign means "Gift of God".
- Royal authority; supreme power; sovereignty; rule; dominion."He who like a father held his reign." [Pope.]"Saturn's sons received the threefold reign Of heaven, of ocean, and deep hell beneath." [Prior.]
- The territory or sphere which is reigned over; kingdom; empire; realm; dominion.(Obs)"God] him bereft the regne that he had." [Chaucer.]
- The time during which a king, queen, or emperor possesses the supreme authority; as, it happened in the reign of Elizabeth.
Etymology: OE. regne, OF. reigne regne, F. règne, fr. L. regnum, fr. rex regis, a king, fr. regere to guide, rule. See Regal Regimen
- To possess or exercise sovereign power or authority; to exercise government, as a king or emperor;; to hold supreme power; to rule."We will not have this man to reign over us." [Luke xix. 14.]"Shall Banquo's issue ever Reign in this kingdom?" [Shak.]
- Hence, to be predominant; to prevail."Pestilent diseases which commonly reignin summer." [Bacon.]
- To have superior or uncontrolled dominion; to rule."Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body." [Rom. vi. 12.]synonyms: To rule; govern; direct; control; prevail.
Etymology: OE. regnen reinen, OF. regner, F. régner, fr. L. regnare, fr. regnum. See Reign (n.)
- Royal authority; the dominion of a monarch
- The period during which a monarch is sovereign ("during the reign of Henry VIII")
- A period during which something or somebody is dominant or powerful ("he was helpless under the reign of his egotism")
- Have sovereign power ("Henry VIII reigned for a long time")
- Be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance ("Money reigns supreme here")
- A male given name