Meaning and Origin
What does the name Reeve mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from New York, U.S. says the name Reeve means "Bailiff" and is of English origin.
Etymology: Cf. D. reven. See Reef (n.) & (v. t.)
Etymology: OE. reve, AS. gerēfa. Cf. Sheriff
- Female ruff
- Fasten by passing through a hole or around something
- Pass through a hole or opening ("reeve a rope")
- Pass a rope through ("reeve an opening")
From Old English rēfa, an aphetism of ġerēfa. Cognate to Danish greve, Swedish greve. Role, and later word, mostly replaced by bailiff, of Anglo-Norman origin.
- (historical) Any of several local officials, with varying responsibilities.
- (Canada) The president of a township or municipal district council.
- (military, historical) A proposed but unadopted commissioned rank of the Royal Air Force equivalent to wing commander.
Apparent alternative form of reef (“to pull or yank strongly”, verb)