Meaning and Origin
What does the name Ramadan mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Alaska, U.S. says the name Ramadan is of Arabic origin and means "It is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, meaning 'parchedness, scorchedness'".
- A submission from Virginia, U.S. says the name Ramadan means "The nine month of Islamic ( Hijra) calendar" and is of Arabic origin.
- The ninth Mohammedan month.
- The great annual fast of the Mohammedans, kept during daylight through the ninth month.
Etymology: Ar. ramaḍān, or ramazān, properly, the hot month
- (Islam) a fast (held from sunrise to sunset) that is carried out during the Islamic month of Ramadan
- The ninth month of the Islamic calendar; the month of fasting; the holiest period for the Islamic faith
From Arabic رَمَضَان (ramaḍān), from اِرْتَمَضَ (irtamaḍa, “to be consumed by grief and sorrow”).
- (Islam) The holy ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, during which Muslims fast between the break of dawn until sunset; they also refrain from drinking liquids, smoking and having sexual relations.
- A male given name
Ramadan was also found in the following language(s): Malay and Portuguese