Meaning and Origin
What does the name Norma mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Texas, U.S., the name Norma is of Latin origin and means "Pattern, standard, precept".
- A user from Canada says the name Norma is of Latin origin and means "She is a pattern for others, a model. She walks with purpose in life. People listen and follow".
- A submission from Swaziland says the name Norma means "A (female) bold and confident leader of many".
- According to a user from Utah, U.S., the name Norma means "Biblical origin".
- A submission from Canada says the name Norma means "Amazing".
- A norm; a principle or rule; a model; a standard.
- A mason's or a carpenter's square or rule.
- A templet or gauge.
- A small constellation in the southern hemisphere near Lupus and Ara in the Milky Way
Coined name of an imaginary Celtic priestess in Bellini's opera Norma (1831). Sometimes explained as Latin norma (“pattern, model”), or as a feminine form of Norman.
- A female given name originating as a coinage.
Named by the French astronomer Nicolas Louis de Lacaille in 1763. From Latin norma (“a carpenter's square”).
- (astronomy) An inconspicuous constellation of the southern sky, said to resemble a carpenter's square. It lies south of the constellations Scorpius and Centaurus.
Norma was also found in the following language(s): Cebuano, Faroese, and Tagalog