Meaning and Origin
What does the name Narcissus mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Iran, Islamic Republic of says the name Narcissus means "A beautiful flower , A flower from God" and is of Latin origin.
- A user from the United States says the name Narcissus means "In Greek mythology, Narcissus was a hunter from Thespiae in Boeotia who was known for his beauty. According to Tzetzes, he was a Laconian hunter who loved everything beautiful".
- A submission from Canada says the name Narcissus means "Inflated sense of self importance" and is of American origin.
- [Bot] A genus of endogenous bulbous plants with handsome flowers, having a cup-shaped crown within the six-lobed perianth, and comprising the daffodils and jonquils of several kinds.
- [Classical Myth] (Capitalized)A beautiful youth fabled to have been enamored of his own image as seen in a fountain, and to have been changed into the flower called Narcissus.
Etymology: L. narcissus, and (personifiedNarcissus, Gr. na`rkissos Na`rkissos, fr. na`rkh torpor, in allusion to the narcotic properties of the flower. Cf. Narcotic
- (Greek mythology) a beautiful young man who fell in love with his own reflection
- Bulbous plant having erect linear leaves and showy yellow or white flowers either solitary or in clusters