Meaning and Origin
What does the name Moody mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A user from Colorado, U.S. says the name Moody means "Brave".
- Subject to varying moods, especially to states of mind which are unamiable or depressed.
- Hence: Out of humor; peevish; angry; fretful; also, abstracted and pensive; sad; gloomy; melancholy."Every peevish, moodymalcontent." [Rowe.]"Arouse thee from thy moody dream!" [Sir W. Scott.]synonyms: Gloomy; pensive; sad; fretful; capricious.
Etymology: AS. mōdig courageous
- United States evangelist (1837-1899)
- United States tennis player who dominated women's tennis in the 1920s and 1930s (1905-1998)
- Subject to sharply varying moods
- Showing a brooding ill humor ("he sat in moody silence")
- A surname.