Meaning and Origin
What does the name Miami mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Virginia, U.S., the name Miami means "Pink flower".
- A city and resort in southeastern Florida on Biscayne Bay; the best known city in Florida; a haven for retirees and a refuge for Cubans fleeing Castro
- A member of the extinct Algonquian people formerly living in northern Indiana and southern Michigan
Named for the Miami River, from Mayaimi, one of only ten words recorded from the language of the now-extinct Mayaimi people.
- A city, the county seat of Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Miami University.
- A small city, the county seat of Roberts County, Texas.
From Myaamia, the endonym for the tribe in Miami-Illinois, an Algonquian language.
- A member of an indigenous North American people of Algonquian stock.
Miami was also found in the following language(s): Afrikaans, Finnish, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish