Meaning and Origin
What does the name Matin mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- According to a user from Turkey, the name Matin means "Steadfast, Firm, Strong, Powerful One or Forceful One".
- A user from Kyrgyzstan says the name Matin means "Powerful, Firm, Strong".
- 2 submissions from Australia and the United States agree the name Matin means "Strong".
- According to a user from California, U.S., the name Matin means "With dignity and steadfast".
- A submission from the United Kingdom says the name Matin means "Atribute of Allah" and is of Arabic origin.
Etymology: F. mâtin
- pl.Morning worship or service; morning prayers or songs."The winged choristers began To chirp their matins." [Cleveland.]
Etymology: F. matines. See Etymol. above
- Time of morning service; the first canonical hour in the Roman Catholic Church.
Etymology: F. fr. L. matutinum the morning, matutinus of the morning, Matuta the goddess of the morning. See Matutinal
French, from Latin matutinum (“the morning”), matutinus (“of the morning”).
- (obsolete) morning
matin was also found in the following language(s): Catalan, Finnish, French, Middle French, Norman, Occitan, and Old French