Meaning and Origin
What does the name Marquee mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
Etymology: F. marquise, misunderstood as a plural; prob. orig., tent of the marchioness. See Marquis
- Permanent canopy over an entrance of a hotel etc.
- Large and often sumptuous tent
From marquise, from French marquise. Ultimately from same root as march (“border country”), margin (“edge”).
- (Britain, Australia, New Zealand) A large tent with open sides, used for outdoors entertainment.
- (US) A projecting canopy over an entrance, especially one with a sign that displays the name of the establishment or other information of it.
- (US, by generalization) Lights that turn on and off in sequence, or scrolling text, as these are common elements on a marquee.
- Synonyms: chase lights, chaser lights
- (Internet) A banner on a web page displaying text that scrolls horizontally.
- (computing) In graphical editing software, a special selection tool, used to highlight a portion of an image.
- Synonym: marching ants
- Rectangular Tool