Meaning and Origin
What does the name Empress mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Virginia, U.S. says the name Empress means "Female ruler of an empire, consort of an emperor".
- A submission from Philippines says the name Empress means "Empress is princess of the eath" and is of English origin.
- The consort of an emperor.
- A female sovereign.
- A sovereign mistress." Empressof my soul." [Shak.]
Etymology: OE. empress emperice, OF. empereis empereris, fr. L. imperatrix, fem. of imperator. See Emperor
- A woman emperor or the wife of an emperor
From Middle English emperice, emperesse, from Anglo-Norman and Old French empereriz, from Latin imperatrix, equivalent to emperor + -ess.
- The female monarch (ruler) of an empire.
- The wife or widow of an emperor or equated ruler (e.g. Persian shah).
- (rare) A female chimpanzee.
- A deciduous tree, Paulownia tomentosa