Meaning and Origin
What does the name Durham mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
- English breed of short-horned cattle
- A city of north central North Carolina; site of Duke University
From Old English Dunholm. Doublet of Duresm and Dunelm.
- County Durham (a county in the Northeast, of England)
- A city in and the county town of County Durham, England.
- An English habitational surname from the city in England.
- An outback town in Queensland, Australia.
- A locale in Canada.
- A community in Nova Scotia; named for Lord Durham, Governor General of Canada.
- A community in Ontario.
- A locale in the United States.
- A city, the county seat of Durham County, North Carolina; named for landowner Bartlett S. Durham.
- A town in New Hampshire.
- A town in Connecticut; named for the city in England.
- A census-designated place in California; named for California politician W. W. Durham.
- A town in Maine; named for County Durham, England.
- A town in New York; named for the town in Connecticut.
- A city in Oregon; named for pioneer and Oregon Territory legislator Alberto Alonzo Durham.
- A city in Kansas; named for the breed of cattle.
- An unincorporated community in Arkansas.
- An unincorporated community in Georgia; named for Durham Coal and Coke Company.
- An unincorporated community in Indiana.
- An unincorporated community in Missouri; named for a railroad employee.
- An unincorporated community in Oklahoma; named for postmaster Doris Durham Morris.
- One of a breed of short-horned cattle, originating in the county of Durham, England, and noted for their beef-producing quality.