Meaning and Origin
What does the name Dover mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
- The capital of the state of Delaware
From Old English Dofras, from Latin Dubris, from Brythonic Dubras (“the waters”), from Proto-Celtic *dubros (“water”), from Proto-Indo-European *dʰubrós (“dark”), from *dʰewb- (“deep”). Compare Tauber.
- A town and major port in Kent, England, the closest point to France.
- A sea area between this port and France.
- A local government district of Kent, including this port.
- The capital city of Delaware, United States, and the county seat of Kent County.
- A town in Tasmania, Australia.
- A neighborhood of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- A small incorporated village in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
- An unincorporated community in Guysborough County, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- A neighborhood of Singapore.
- A town in Pope County, Arkansas.
- An unincorporated CDP in Hillsborough County, Florida.
- An unincorporated community in Screven County, Georgia.
- A tiny city in Bonner County, Idaho.
- A village in Bureau County, Illinois.
- An unincorporated community in Dearborn County, Indiana.
- An unincorporated community in Shawnee County, Kansas.
- A tiny home rule city in Mason County, Kentucky.
- A former town in Piscataquis County, Maine, now Dover-Foxcroft, Maine.
- A town in Norfolk County, Massachusetts.
- A tiny city in Olmsted County, Minnesota.
- A village in Lafayette County, Missouri.
- A city, the county seat of Strafford County, New Hampshire, United States.
- A town in Morris County, New Jersey.
- A town in Dutchess County, New York.
- A small town in Craven County, North Carolina.
- A city in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.
- A small town in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma.
- A borough of York County, Pennsylvania.
- A small town, the county seat of Stewart County, Tennessee.
- A ghost town in Sanpete County, Utah.
- A town in Windham County, Vermont.
- An unincorporated community in Loudoun County, Virginia.
- A small town in Buffalo County, Wisconsin.
- An unincorporated community in Price County, Wisconsin.
- A town in Racine County, Wisconsin.
- A surname.
Dover was also found in the following language(s): Portuguese