Meaning and Origin
What does the name Brazil mean? Keep reading to find the user submitted meanings, dictionary definitions, and more.
User Submitted Origins
User Submitted Meanings
- A submission from Virginia, U.S. says the name Brazil means "Tree".
- A user from Wisconsin, U.S. says the name Brazil is of English origin and means "Beautiful life of young".
- Three-sided tropical American nut with white oily meat and hard brown shell
- The largest Latin American country and the largest Portuguese speaking country in the world; located in the central and northeastern part of South America; world's leading coffee exporter
From Portuguese Brasil, from brasil (“brazilwood”), originally ‘red like an ember’, from brasa (“ember”), ultimately from Proto-Germanic *brasō (“gleed, crackling coal”).
- A large Portuguese-speaking country in South America. Official name: Federative Republic of Brazil.
- A city, the county seat of Clay County, Indiana, United States.
Brazil was also found in the following language(s): Albanian, Breton, Portuguese, and Serbo-Croatian